Twin Towns: Civitanova Marche, Italy

Population ca. 39 850

From archeological discoveries it is known that these territories were already inhabited in prehistoric times. Cluana, as the present Civitanova was called in pre-Romanic times, was founded around the 8th century B.C., in a region already well-known to the people of Ancient Greece. The most important changes took place after 1860, when all the Marche region came under the Kingdom of Sardinia. In this period the most important palaces in the town were built as well as the railway system between Ancona and Turin and later Civitanova and Albacina.

Civitanova Marche consists of two parts. Civitanova Marche itself is a seaport and seaside resort. Civitanova Alta around 3 kilometres away is a medieval hilltop borgo surrounded by high 14th century walls with four town gates, each with its own name: San Paolo, San Girone, Porta Mercato and Porta Sant' Angelo - better known as Porta Marina with its characteristic cypress grown inside the Ghibelline battlements.
On the main square of Civitanova Alta there is the "Palace of the Delegation" built in 1867 by engineer Guglielmo Prosperi from Macerata. Inside one can see paintings by Ulisse Ribustini (19th and 20th  cent.) and a Roman gravestone of Cluentensis Vicus from the 3rd century. The palace is now the seat of the Townhall's historic Achieves and of the Picture gallery of Modern Art entitled Marco Moretti, where a collection of ancient arms is preserved. Nearby one can find St Paul's church from the 17th century, which stands in the place of ancient Collegiate. Inside there is a baptismal font from 1423 and 16th century paintings "Nativity of Mary" by Andrea Briotti and "Crucifixion" by Durante Nobili from Caldarola. The oldest church of St Francis dates back to the 14th century, with a Romanic portal and a bell tower attributed to the Venetian artist Marino Cedrini. Interestingly,  Mass has not been celebrated there since 1915. In the lower part of the town there is the Palace of Cesarini Sforza, a 16th century building which houses the Town Offices. Traces of Civitanova's ancient origins can be seen in the church of St Marone.

At the end of the 19th century economic development began in the entire territory where Civitanova Marche lies. The opening of new railway lines and the repairs carried out on the more important roads encouraged development of trade. Nowadays the town's economy is flourishing and it has taken on new sectors too: a special mention must go to the shoe-making industry - there are many companies specializing in various types and production stages, making this one of the most famous shoe-making areas in Italy.

Tourism also has a fundamental role in the economy of the region. The main objective is to create a form of tourism suitable both for families and for young people, that is, a chance to rest, amuse oneself in close contact with nature. For these reasons there are perfectly equipped both sand and pebble beaches, sports fields, a modern leisure-boat port and many structures for amusements and leisure. A special mention must go to the restaurant sector, closely linked to tourism, where one can taste excellent dishes of the area.

Twin Towns

since 1989 Eisne (Italy)
since 1991 General San Martin (Argentina)
since 2002 Sebenico (Croatia)
since 2005 Skawina (Poland)

The Mayor of Civitanova Marche:
Erminio Marinelli

Town website: www.comune.civitanova.mc.it

E-mail us logowanie
Copyright © 2005 SSPM. All Rights Reserved
Wykonanie strony Website